Course Delivery: Live Online or Classroom
The classroom dates are shown below. All other dates shown under 'Book Courses' on the right hand side will be delivered in a live online format.
- London: 21-25 Nov
- New York: 5-9 Dec
Certificate Programme Objectives
The overall goal of this certificate program is to give participants exposure to financial statements of banks and enable them to make an independent assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of a bank. The course provides participants with frameworks and tools required to make and independent credit analysis of a bank.
Key Learning Outcomes:
- Understand the risks in the different business lines and products offered by financial institutions and how they are reflected in the financial statements
- Analyse the components of bank financial statements and key ratios used in bank analysis
- Understand the impact of differing accounting standards and policies (e.g. provisioning, asset valuation, securitization, etc.) on the financial statements
- Use the CAMELS framework (capital, asset quality, management, earnings, liquidity and sensitivity to market risk) and related key ratios to make a preliminary assessment of the performance and financial health of a bank
- Use a structured approach to the analysis of banks, incorporating the CAMELS elements, but in the context of business, financial and performance risk within the wider context of the operating environment
- Identify strong and weak performers using a detailed analysis of financial statements within the context of local and international accounting and business norms
- Identify financial, qualitative and market early warning signals of credit risk and migration
- Stress test bank capital and ability to withstand credit, market and liquidity risk
- Evaluate strategy and risk management capabilities within the context of the current environment and future economic climate, focusing on implications of COVID-19 and changing competitive, political and regulatory conditions, including Basel III capital and liquidity requirements
Participants will be given a secure link to the assessment page after completion of the programme. The assessment consists of a untimed multiple choice test where they will be called upon to demonstrate some of the knowledge and skills that they have learnt on the five day programme.
Who Should Attend
This certificate program is suitable for those people with little or no exposure to financial statements from large institutions or bank analysis. It is ideal for people pursuing a career in credit risk management, fixed income, origination and regulatory professionals.
The following courses are follow-on courses which complement and build on the content covered in the Certificate in Bank Analysis: